Thursday 21 August 2014

Her by Harriet Lane


Title: Her
Author: Harriet Lane
Published: 12th June 2014
Publisher: W&N




















Review

I think the problem that I had with this book was that I had really quite high expectations when I started reading it. And therefore, sadly it did not meet my expectations. 

I was initially drawn to Her because of the premise of "You don't remember her, but she remembers you". It just sounded like it was going to be a great psychological thriller, so I couldn't wait to start. Unfortunately I just felt like I was constantly waiting for something to happen. Things do happen obviously, but they weren't anywhere near as dramatic as I thought they were going to be. I know the author was probably trying to make it realistic, and be true to human nature, but I thought there would have been more. When something big did happen, it was right at the end and the ending just leaves you hanging. I wasn't actually sure that was the end of the book and I found it a little frustrating that it wasn't more wrapped up. 

Although the story didn't really grab, Harriet Lane does write really well. She got across the stark differences between the two women and I liked how the book alternated between Nina and then Emma's point of view. Harriet also really illustrated the hardship of motherhood in Emma's point of view and I did feel for her. 

Although I didn't really get on with this, there have been lots of others who really liked it. This is just my opinion after all. So not for me, but maybe still give it a go.
                                                



2 comments:

  1. I HAVE BEEN SO BAD AT READING YOUR BLOG LATELY LAURA! I AM SORRY! *huddles in the corner*

    Anyway, the premise of this one definitely sounds intriguing; but it's a shame that the plot reveals and twists weren't the dramatic, mind-blowing ones you were expecting. I mean, if a psychological thriller doesn't thrill you, that's never a good thing. ;)

    At the very least, I am glad the writing and characterization were decent. :D Thanks for sharing Laura, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! Hope your next read is better! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, Honestly do not worry! I am pretty rubbish myself!

      Yes so disappointed that it didn't really 'thrill' me but not such a bad read :)

      Thanks for stopping by as always :) x

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS