Monday 22 September 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Published: 2nd May 2012
Publisher: Penguin
Review

I know how incredibly late I am in finally reading the truly special The Fault in Our Stars, but it would have been even longer had I not had been a bit low one lunchtime and walked into the nearby bookstore. It was in there whilst I was browsing the teen section that I saw a very shiny blue cover and realised it was The Fault in Our Stars (see my twitter for what the book looks like). I just had to get it, so I did. I started reading it on the train home and that was it, this book was going to have an impact on me like no other other book.
To the few of you (if any?) that have not read The Fault in Our Stars (TFiOS), it centres around Hazel who has always known that she is terminal and rarely ventures out of her home expect to go to support group, but that is where the biggest plot twist of her life enters her world in the form of Augustus Waters.

So not only I am SO late in reading TFiOS, this is also the first John Green novel that I have read and WOW does that man have a way with words! I have never come across someones fictional writing where they manage to mix humour and tragedy together so well. And I don't think I have ever taken so many amazing quotes from one novel before! I could spend ages listing them all here, but that wouldn't be fair to those of you who have not read it yet.

I cannot not mention the incredible character that is Augustus Waters. Me and I'm sure millions of others who have read the book are wishing for their very own, real life Augustus Waters. He's so funny and just bursts with light and happiness every time he enters a room. He can really pick you up when you feel like life really has thrown you lemons.

Considering I left it so late to read this that the film of the book is going to be out in DVD soon, I have been so lucky not to have come across any spoilers although I very nearly did at #YALC in July on their We Were Liars board where people had to put lies up there- anyway another story. I honestly did not see the ending or plot twist coming AT ALL! I was a bit gobsmacked to be honest and emotionally I wasn't sure how I felt because I was so thrown! In part I liked it because it just summed up everything that this book was about (which I won't mention in case I slip a spoiler out). But at the same time it also felt unfair, but then that goes back to my previous sentence.

An epic novel from John Green; TFiOS now has pride of place on my bookshelf and I will be passing it down to generations to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS