Tuesday 16 September 2014

The Witch of Salt and Storm by Kendall Kulper

Title: The Witch of Salt and Storm
Author: Kendall Kulper
Published: 4th September 2014
Publisher: Orchard Books


Review

Witch of Salt and Storm was a brilliantly written book. I have not come across any writing like it before and the story was utterly brilliant!

I saw one blogger describe this novel as lyrical and that exactly summed it up. The author really manages to convey the emotions in such a beautiful way. I don't know exactly what it was that I was expecting, but this novel really blew me away. It is jam packed full of everything I could want from a novel; action, romance, magic and drama! 

When it comes to reading about magic, I always wonder how the author will make it unique and Kendall Kulper's take, was like nothing I have come across before. She mixes witches with the sea and how they have protected Prince Island for generations with the capturing of whales and ensuring their voyages are storm free. What I particularly liked was how Avery Roe came from a long line of witches and there was an element of mystery surrounding how they became witches. 

I loved Avery's character she is feisty and strong, but shows her fears. I wanted as much as she did for her to become the witch of Prince Island and was furious at her Mother for making this impossible for her. This book isn't without it's pain and heartache though. Some devastating events tore my heart out. I now need to go and read a happy book to lift my spirits.

Every time I read a YA book, my love for the genre grows. It literally knows no bounds. 

Overall a fantastically magical story that will sweep you away.





No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS