Thursday 26 March 2015

Book Review: The Three by Sarah Lotz

Title: The Three
Author: Sarah Lotz
Published: 26th February 2015
Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton




Review

This is a really difficult book for me to review. Whilst I liked it, I didn't love it like I thought I was going to. I think for me, for once the hype actually sky-rocketed my expectations and that obviously kind of ruined it, as it wasn't quite as good as I thought it was going to be. I don't want to put anyone off reading, I'm still pleased I read this as it did have a lot of good points, which I will go into more detail below.

So the synopsis for this is one where you instantly want to read it and it was a book that had been on my radar for quite a while. The way that book starts off also hooks you right away, a plane crashes and the soon to be known fourth survivor leaves a disturbing message right before she dies, the message is a warning. The other three survivors are children, each from a different plane crash, they are thought to be miracle children as it's almost impossible that they could have survived. What follows is a series of conspiracy theories surrounding the message and the families that live with 'The Three'.

The way The Three was written actually came as a bit of a surprise to me, I wasn't expecting it to written in a documentary type style writing. I thought it would be written more like a story. Whilst this sometimes had its good points, other times I would find my mind wandering. I was hoping that there would be more focus on 'The Three'. When it did focus on them, I was completely gripped. I think I was expecting this to have a few more gritty, creepy moments than it did, which is why the story fell a little flat for me overall.

Although the style of writing wasn't quite my cup of tea, I could still really appreciate the amount of effort that Sarah Lotz had to put into this book; it is incredibly high concept.. It has been done to make it as realistic as possible and I could imagine it happening in real life.

So although I didn't love this, it was still a good read and I could appreciate what the author had done. I would also definitely still read the sequel.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS